Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Zuppa Toscana

1 pound sausage
1/2 a large onion chopped
1-2 cloves minced garlic
red pepper flakes (as hot as you like)
super large can chicken broth (49 ish oz)
lots of potatoes cubed ( I use red skin)
Fresh thyme
pepper
milk
fresh spinach or you can use Kale (holds up longer in soup)



brown and crumble sausage in a large dutch oven (soup pot) with a little olive oil. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Add 2 Tbs of butter and saute onion until soft. Add garlic and pepper flakes for a few minutes. Add everything else except for the spinach and milk. If you want it done fast boil for 20min until potatoes are done. I cook mine while the kiddos are napping, so I cook on low until dinner time. I use an immersion blender to slightly break up some of the potatoes, still like it pretty chunky. Before serving add the sausage back in, spinach, and milk. I use 2% and add maybe 3/4 cup. Obviously it will taste better with whole milk or cream! You can add more salt if needed, I don't usually b/c sausage is salty enough. I serve it with garlic bread, or homemade croutons and fresh grated Parmesan cheese :)

No comments:

Post a Comment